Schmidhausen natural gas storage facility
The Schmidhausen natural gas storage facility is located 10 km northwest of Rosenheim in Bavaria.
In 1983, it was built in a former natural gas field. The underground reservoir has an extension of 10 km³.
The porous reservoir rock of the Aquitan has been developed at a depth of more than 1,000 m through seven drill holes and hold a working gas volume of approx. 154 million m³n. As a pore storage facility, Schmidhausen serves to balance the demand gap between summer and winter months and contributes to the secure gas supply of the Bavarian state capital Munich.
- Location: Grosskarolinenfeld near Bad Aibling / Bavaria
- Storage type: pore storage
- Gas quality: H-gas
- Geological formation: Tertiary / Aquitaine Sandstone
- Depth: 1,010 m below ground level
- Working gas volume: approx. 154 million m³n
- Max. injection capacity: 40,000 m³n/h
- Max. withdrawal rate: 150,000 m³n/h
- Number of storage wells: 7
- Year of construction / commissioning: 1983
- Market area / Network operator: Trading Hub Europe (THE) / SWM Infrastructure
Safety information according to accident law
Safety flyers and data for on-site inspections in accordance with §16 StörfallV can be found in our media library (german)