Peckensen natural gas storage facility
The Peckensen cavern storage facility is located southeast of Salzwedel in the Altmark region of Saxony-Anhalt.
Following a major expansion project successfully completed in 2014, the storage facility now has a working gas volume of approx. 337 million m³n in 5 storage caverns in the Peckensen salt dome.
With five compressor units the injection capacity is 315.000 m³n /h, the maximum withdrawal capacity is 860,000 m³n/h. Via two high-capacity connecting lines, the storage facility is optimally connected to the Steinitz network connection point and the Ontras transport network. Peckensen is the largest cavern storage facility operated by Storengy in Germany.
- Location: Wallstawe, OT Wiersdorf / Saxony-Anhalt
- Storage type: cavern storage
- Gas quality: H-gas
- Working gas volume: approx. 337 million m³n
- Caverns in operation: 5
- Max. injection capacity: 315,000 m³n/h
- Max. withdrawal rate: 860,000 m³n/h
- Depth of the caverns: 1.300 - 1,550 m below ground level
- Geological formation: Upper Permian salt dome
- Year of construction / extension: 2002 / 2014
- Market area / Network operator: Trading Hub Europe (THE) / Ontras
Safety information according to accident law
Safety flyers and data for on-site inspections in accordance with §16 StörfallV can be found in our media library (german)