Fronhofen natural gas storage facility
The H-gas storage facility Fronhofen is located in southern Germany near Wilhelmsdorf between Ravensburg and Pfullendorf in Upper Swabia.
It was established in 1997 in the trigonodus dolomite of the former Fronhofen-Illmensee natural gas reservoir.
As a pore storage facility with a working gas volume of approx. 10 million m³n, it contributes to balancing the demand gap between summer and winter months and to securing the gas supply of Stuttgart, the state capital of Baden-Württemberg.
- Location: Wilhelmsdorf / Baden-Württemberg
- Storage type: pore storage
- Gas quality: H-gas
- Geologicalformation: Trigonodus-Dolomite / Ob. shell limestone
- Depth: 1,300 m below ground level
- Working gas volume: approx. 10 million m³n
- Max. injection capacity: 20,000 m³n/h
- Max. withdrawal capacity: 30,000 m³n/h
- Number of storage wells: 6
- Year of construction / commissioning: 1997
- Market area / Network operator: Trading Hub Europe (THE) / terranets BW
Safety information according to accident law
Safety flyers and data for on-site inspections in accordance with §16 StörfallV can be found in our media libarary (german)